HIGH-SPEED ISOLATED RS232 TO RS485 RS422 CONVERTER
HIGH-SPEED ISOLATED RS232 TO RS485 RS422 CONVERTER
Qty: 10+ $88.16
Qty: 50+ $83.26
Other Qty: Ask
The CVT-485_422-4 is a high-speed (300 to 115,200bps), optically-isolated, externally-powered RS232 to RS485 converter / RS232 to RS422 converter, which can be used to convert any standard RS232C port into a two-wire half-duplex RS485 port or a four-wire full-duplex RS485/RS422 port and vice versa.
This industrial externally-powered opto-isolated RS232 to RS485 / RS422 converter supports multi-drop RS485/RS422 networks and can be used to communicate with one loop of up to 128 units of RS485 / RS422 devices. It operates within a temperature range of -40ºF to 185ºF (-40ºC to 85ºC), features 600W surge protection, 15kV ESD static protection and 2500V opto-isolation circuitry, which effectively protect your RS-232 devices from ground loops, noise problems, transient surges, remote lightning and spikes. The unit is powered from an external 9 to 30VDC power supply, so you do not have to worry about the power ability of your RS232 device; it also supports data direction auto-turnaround, which automatically enables the RS485 transceiver when data is present on the RS232 side. Therefore, it requires no port power, software drivers, or DIP switch settings. The built-in 120-Ohm terminator can be turned ON or OFF through a simple jumper wire, thus making the unit an ideal solution for all types of installations.
A separate external power supply is included in the package, and, thanks to the professional and unique casing design, the product can be mounted directly on a wall, panel or DIN Rail, without a need of using any unsecured DIN-Rail or wall-mount brackets.
CommFront's product quality is ensured by our strict ISO 9001:2008 quality control system, and we back our high-quality RS232 to RS485 / RS422 converter products with a 30-day risk-free money-back guarantee and a 5-year replacement warranty.
- Converts RS232 to 2-wire RS485, 4-wire RS485 or 4-wire RS422 and vice versa.
- External 9-30VDC powered (included), no port power from the RS-232 port required.
- Industrial grade enclosed in a rugged, rustless ABS housing.
- 2500V optical isolation effectively protects RS-232 devices from ground loops, noise problems, transient surges, remote lightning and spikes.
- Supports multi-drop RS485/RS422 networks (up to 128 nodes).
- Direct DIN-Rail (Rack) or Wall / Panel mounting.
- 300 to 115.2K Baud operation (auto-sensing & self-adjusting).
- RS-485/RS-422 auto-detection, no manual setting is required.
- No software drivers, flow control, DIP switch or jumper settings required.
- Plug and play (hot-pluggable, data format auto-sensing & self-adjusting).
- Data direction auto-turnaround, no flow control is required.
- Operating temperature: -40ºF to 185ºF (-40ºC to 85ºC).
- Built-in 600W surge protection, 15kV static protection and circuit protection.
- Built-in selectable 120Ω terminator for system reliability and easy installation.
- Surface Mount Technology manufactured to RoHS and ISO-9001 standards.
- Safety: Strictly certified by TUV (Cert No. SG-CE-100005; SG-FCC-100002).
- 5-year manufacturer's warranty.
|Compatibility:||EIA/TIA RS-232, RS-485 and RS-422 standards|
|Power Source:||9 to 30VDC (External AC to DC power adapter included)|
|External AC/DC Power Adapter:||9VDC/500mA (Input: 100~240VAC 50/60Hz, US type A plug)|
|Current Consumption:||Less than 30mA|
|Optical Isolation:||2500Vrms (AC, 1 min)|
|Baud Rates:||1,200 to 38,400bps (auto-sensing & self-adjusting)|
|Distances:||RS-232: 16ft (5m); RS-485/RS-422: up to 4000ft (1.2km) at 19,200bps|
|Maximum No. of Nodes:||RS-485/RS-422: 128 nodes|
|Connectors:||1x DB-9 Female; 1x 10-way Terminal Block|
|End of Line Terminator:||120Ω (built-in, selectable)|
|Static protection (ESD):||Up to 15KV||Dimensions (H x W x D):||4.7 x 3.6 x 0.9 in (120 x 73 x 33 mm)|
|Weight:||4.6 oz (130 g) (with terminal block)|
|Operating Temperature:||-40ºF to 185ºF (-40ºC to 85ºC)|
|Operating Humidity:||Up to 90% RH (no condensation)|
CONVERTER CONNECTOR / TERMINAL BLOCK PIN OUTS
Note: Some software requires handshake line acknowledgements. To satisfy the requirements, our converter's handshake lines are tied together (DCD, DTR, and DSR tied together, and RTS and CTS tied together). Therefore, you don't have to modify your existing software.
|DB-9 Female (view from front)|
RS485 / RS422 Side
|RS485||485+||485-||RS485 GND||-||-||-||Tie to ON 120Ω||DC+||DC/RS-232 GND|
|RS422||TX+||TX-||RS422 GND||RX+||RX-||Tie to ON 120Ω||-||-||DC+||DC/RS-232 GND|
10-Way Terminal Block
120 OHM END-OF-LINE TERMINATOR
1) RS485 Mode
- Tie pin J3 and J4 to turn ON the 120 Ohm End-of-Line terminator.
2) RS422 Mode
- Tie pin J1 and J2 to turn ON the 120 Ohm End-of-Line terminator.
CONNECTIONS (RS485 BUS, RS422 BUS, RS232 EXTENSION)
Figure 1: Master-Slave Multi-Drop Connections (RS485)
Figure 2: Master-Slave Multi-Drop Connections (RS422)
Figure 3: Extending Full-Duplex RS-232 Distance with Opto-Isolation
Figure 4: DIN-Rail (Rack) Mounting
Figure 5: Wall/Panel Mounting
1) Make sure the power is connected and turned on.
2) Check the connections according to the above “CONNECTIONS” diagrams.
3) Loopback Test:
- Connect a CVT-485_422-4 to your PC's COM port and connect TX+ to RX+, TX- to RX- (as shown above).
- Run 232Analyzer FREE version software on your computer.
- Select "ASCII" for both the Send and Receive data formats. Then send command and/or string such as "CommFront" from the 232Analyzer software. You should receive an echo of the command/string sent ("CommFront"). By performing a simple loopback test like this, you can test both the transmitter and receiver of the converter. This is very helpful when you are in doubt about the performance of your converter.
Screenshot: Send/receive commands from 232Analyzer software.
232Analyzer is an advanced RS232 Serial Protocol Analyzer software that allows you to control, monitor and analyze serial port (RS232 / RS485 / RS422 / TTL, etc.) activities. Not just the data, it also allows you to monitor or change RS-232's line states: RTS, CTS, DTR, DSR, DCD, and RI.
The FREE version (no time limitation) can be downloaded from here.