USB TO RS422 CONVERTER / ADAPTER
USB TO DUAL RS422 CONVERTER / ADAPTER
Qty: 10+ $118.76
Qty: 50+ $112.16
Other Qty: Ask
This port-powered, bi-directional USB to dual RS422/RS485 converter can be used to convert any standard full-duplex USB port into two RS422 or RS485 ports and vice versa. The unit can be used to communicate with up to two loops (each loop support up to 128 nodes) of RS422 or RS485 devices, and it comes with built-in 120 Ohm terminators for system reliability and easy installation (see Application Note). The unit is powered from the USB port and it supports data auto-sensing & self-adjusting, no baud rate setting is required. And with the data direction auto-turnaround technology, no external power or flow control is required for RS485 communications. The unit uses the latest FTDI chipset and is fully compatible with Windows 8/7/Vista/XP/Server2008/ Server2003/2000/98 (32-bit), Windows 8/7/Vista/XP/ Server2008/Server2003 (64-bit), Win CE, Mac, and Linux.
CommFront's product quality is ensured by our strict ISO 9001:2008 quality control system, and we back our high-quality USB RS422 converter / adapter products with a 30-day risk-free money-back guarantee and a 5-year replacement warranty. Read more: 5 tips for choosing quality converter products
FEATURES (USB DUAL RS422 CONVERTER)
- Adds two RS-422 ports to your USB port.
- 300 to 115.2K Baud operation (auto-sensing and self-adjusting).
- Communicate with two loops of up to 2x 128 units of RS422 devices.
- Built-in 120Ω end-of-line terminator for system reliability and easy installation.
- Data direction auto-turnaround, no flow control is required.
- Supports Windows 7/Vista/XP/Server2008/Server2003/2000/98 (32-bit), Windows 7/Vista/XP/Server2008/Server2003 (64-bit), Win CE, Mac, and Linux.
- Supports remote wakeup and power management.
- Plug and play (hot-pluggable, data format auto-sensing and self-adjusting).
- Port-powered, no external power required.
- No IRQs required, no IRQ conflicts.
- Surface Mount Technology manufactured to RoHS and ISO-9001 standards.
- Safety: Strictly certified by world-class lab SGS/TUV (Cert No. EM/2008/20062C, EM/2008/20063C, SG-CE-090012).
- 5-year manufacturer's warranty.
SPECIFICATIONS (USB DUAL RS422 CONVERTER)
|Compatibility:||USB 2.0 (backward compatible) and EIA/TIA RS-485 / RS-422 standards|
|Power Source:||From USB Port|
|Current Consumption:||Less than 100mA|
|Baud Rates:||300 to 115,200bps (Auto-sensing & Self-adjusting)|
|Distances:||USB side: 10ft (3m); RS-485 side: Depending on the power from USB port, will transmit up to 4000ft (1.2km) at 19,200bps|
|Connectors:||USB Side: Type A Female; RS-422/485 Side: 2x DB-9 Male; 2x Termination Board (DB-9 Female and a 4-Way Terminal Block)|
|Maximum number of drops:||2x 128|
|End of Line Terminator:||120Ω (Built-in)|
|Dimensions (H x W x D):||0.9 x 2.8 x 6.2 in (24 x 72 x 158 mm) (excluding cable)|
|Cable Length:||ft (0.6 m)|
|Weight:||5.7 oz (163 g)|
|Operating Temperature:||32ºF to 95ºF (0ºC to 35ºC)|
|Operating Humidity:||Up to 90% RH (no condensation)|
CONVERTER CONNECTOR / TERMINAL BLOCK PIN OUTS
USB Type A Connector (view from front)
RS485 / RS422 Side (2 nos.)
|Jumper||J2 (default: ON)||J2 (default: ON)||J1 (default: ON)||J4 (default: ON)|
|RS485||A+ (J2 ON)||B- (J3 ON)||GND||(J1 ON)||Terminate/remove Jumper J4 to turn ON/OFF the 120Ω end-of-line terminator.|
|RS485||(J2 OFF)||J3 OFF)||GND||(J1 OFF)|
Note: The USB RS422 Converter comes with a 6-way terminal block (RS485/RS422 side) for easy wire connections. However, you may choose not to use the terminal block provided and simply follow the above table for pin assignments.
|DB-9 Male (view from front) / Terminal Block|
JUMPER SETTINGS FOR RS485 / RS422 MODES AND 120 OHM TERMINATOR
1) USB to RS485 Mode
- Turn ON Jumper 1, 2 & 3 for RS-485 mode;
- Important: Turn ON J4 (120 Ohm End-Of-Line Terminator) at both ends of the RS-485 bus when its distance is over 660ft (200m).
2) USB to RS422 Mode
- Turn OFF Jumper 1, 2 & 3 for RS-422 mode;
- Important: Turn ON J4 (120 Ohm End-Of-Line Terminator) at both ends of the RS-422 bus when its distance is over 660ft (200m).
CONNECTIONS (RS485 BUS / RS422 BUS)
TROUBLESHOOTING USB RS422 CONVERTER
1) Driver installation
Make sure that the USB-Dual-RS422 converter is connected to your USB port, and the driver is installed correctly (as shown above); otherwise, please reinstall the drivers.
2) Loopback Test
- Connect a USB-Dual-RS422 converter to your PC's USB port and remove Jumper 1 and terminate Jumper 2 and 3 on the RS485/422 terminal block (as shown above).
- Run 232Analyzer FREE version software on your computer.
- Select "ASCII" for both the Send and Receive data formats. Then send command and/or string such as "CommFront" from the 232Analyzer software. You should receive an echo of the command/string sent ("CommFront"). By performing a simple loopback test like this, you can test both the transmitter and receiver of the converter. This is very helpful when you are in doubt about the performance of your converter.
Screenshot: Send/receive commands from 232Analyzer software.
232Analyzer is an advanced RS232 Serial Protocol Analyzer software that allows you to control, monitor and analyze serial port (RS232 / RS485 / RS422 / TTL, etc.) activities. Not just the data, it also allows you to monitor or change RS-232's line states: RTS, CTS, DTR, DSR, DCD, and RI.
The FREE version (no time limitation) can be downloaded from here.