RS232 TO RS485 CONVERTER / RS232 TO RS485 ADAPTER
SLIM INDUSTRIAL PORT-POWERED RS232 TO RS485 CONVERTER
Qty: 10+ $22.46
Qty: 50+ $21.20
Other Qty: Ask
The CVT-485A-1 is another version of our popular CVT-485-1 model. It is a slim, rugged, industrial-grade, port-powered RS232 RS485 converter, which can be used to convert any standard RS232C port into a two-wire half-duplex RS485 port and vice versa. This industrial RS232 to RS485 converter supports multi-drop RS485 networks and can be used to communicate with one loop of up to 128 units of RS485 devices. The device is efficiently powered from the RS232 data line (less than 8mA of power consumption), and it supports data direction auto-turnaround, which automatically enables the RS485 transceiver when data is present on the RS232 side. Therefore, it requires no external power, software drivers or flow control. The unit comes with a 5-way terminal block which can be attached to the converter securely without using screws and nuts, and the innovative 120-Ohm end-of-line terminator design makes the termination easier than ever before, thus making the unit an ideal solution for quick installation and space-restricted applications.
CommFront's product quality is ensured by our strict ISO 9001:2008 quality control system, and we back our high-quality RS232 to RS485 converters with a 30-day risk-free money-back guarantee and a 5-year replacement warranty.
FEATURES (INDUSTRIAL RS232 RS485 ADAPTER)
- Port-powered, no external power or RTS, DTR required.
- Very high power efficiency: Less than 8mA of power consumption.
- Designed for quick installation and space-restricted applications.
- Industrial grade enclosed in a rugged, rustless ABS housing.
- Converts RS232 to 2-wire RS485 and vice versa.
- Supports multi-drop RS485 networks (up to 128 nodes)
- 300 to 115.2K Baud operation (auto-sensing & self-adjusting).
- Operating temperature: -40ºF to 185ºF (-40ºC to 85ºC).
- Plug and play (hot-pluggable, data format auto-sensing & self-adjusting).
- Data direction auto-turnaround, no software drivers or flow control required.
- Built-in selectable 120Ω terminator for system reliability and easy installation.
- Built-in 600W surge protection, 15kV static protection and circuit protection.
- Surface Mount Technology manufactured to RoHS and ISO-9001 standards.
- Safety: Strictly certified by TUV (Cert No. SG-CE-090012).
- 5-year manufacturer's warranty.
SPECIFICATIONS (INDUSTRIAL RS232 TO RS485 ADAPTER)
|Compatibility:||EIA/TIA RS-232C standard and RS-485 standard|
|Power Source:||Port power from RS232 data line|
|Current Consumption:||Less than 8mA|
|Baud Rates:||300 to 115,200bps (Auto-sensing & Self-adjusting)|
|Distance:||Depending on power from RS232 port, will transmit up to 4000ft (1.2km) at 19,200bps|
|Connector:||RS232 Side: DB-9 Female; RS485 Side: 5-Way Terminal Block|
|Maximum number of drops:||128|
|End of Line Terminator:||120Ω (built-in; selectable)|
|Static protection (ESD):||Up to 15KV|
|Dimensions (H x W x D):||0.63 x 1.3 x 2.7 in (16 x 32 x 69 mm)|
|Weight:||1 oz (28 g)|
|Operating Temperature:||-40ºF to 185ºF (-40ºC to 85ºC)|
|Operating Humidity:||Up to 90% RH (no condensation)|
CONVERTER CONNECTOR / TERMINAL BLOCK PIN OUTS
Note: Some software requires handshake line acknowledgements. To satisfy the requirements, our converter's handshake lines are tied together (DCD, DTR, and DSR tied together, and RTS and CTS tied together). Therefore, you don't have to modify your existing software.
|DB-9 Female (view from front)|
|Function||RS485+||RS485-||GND||Terminate to turn ON the 120Ω end-of-line terminator|
Note: The CVT-485A-1 comes with a 5-way terminal block for easy wire connections. RS485 wires can be connected to the terminal block securely.
|Terminal Block (view from front)|
SELECTABLE 120 OHM END-OF-LINE JUMPER SETTINGS
Important: Turn ON Jumper 120 (120 Ohm End-Of-Line Terminator) at both ends of the RS-485 bus when the data rate is over 19.2kbps or the distance exceeds 660 feet (200m).
CONNECTIONS (RS485 BUS, RS232 EXTENSION)
Figure 1: Master-Slave Multi-Drop Connections (RS485)
Figure 2: Extending Half-Duplex RS232 Distance (Data Only)
- Connect two numbers of CVT-485A-1 to your PC’s COM ports and connect A to A, B to B on the RS485 terminal blocks (as shown above).
- Run two instances of the 232Analyzer FREE version software on your computer.
- Select "ASCII" for both the Send and Receive data formats. Then send command and/or string such as "CommFront" from one COM port. You should receive an echo of the command/string sent ("CommFront") on the other COM port. By performing a simple loopback test like this, you can test both the transmitter and receiver of the converter. This is very helpful when you are in doubt about the performance of your converter.
Screenshot 1: Send commands from 1st instance of the 232Analyzer software
Screenshot 2: Receive commands from 2nd instance of the 232Analyzer software
232Analyzer is an advanced RS232 Serial Protocol Analyzer software that allows you to control, monitor and analyze serial port (RS232 / RS485 / RS422 / TTL, etc.) activities. Not just the data, it also allows you to monitor or change RS-232's line states: RTS, CTS, DTR, DSR, DCD, and RI.
The FREE version (no time limitation) can be downloaded from here.